Friday, May 20, 2011

More Spring Yellow

Ah, it's been a while since I've posted. I have been quite busy with various projects, including creating a wall hanging for my living room.
original wall hanging
To create this, I stretched some lovely damask linen over a wooden 3' X 3' stretcher frame. (You can get them at any art supply store.) Then I created a stencil of the silhouette of a chandelier.

To create the stencil, I changed the size of the image to be 3 feet square in PhotoShop, printed the sections, then taped the whole thing together. From there, I traced the outline onto stencil mylar, and cut it. Finally, I taped the stencil to the stretched linen and stenciled the image onto the fabric.

Something that doesn't show very well in the photo is the lace effect because the white paint appears semi-transparent, letting a hint of the damask pattern show through.

If you're looking for something dramatic to enliven your walls, you might give this a try. Just choose a silhouette you like and be sure to select fabric that's heavy enough to handle the paint. Oh, and do test the paint on the fabric before doing the actual stenciling.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous said...I love that stencil!!! it looks great - I wish I could make something like that. I'm all thumbs.

    thanks for your great comment today about coveritis. haha!!! loved it.

    ReplyDelete